At International House La Spezia we offer face to face CELTA and IHCYLT intensive courses.
International House La Spezia is strategically located on the north-western coast of Italy between Pisa and Genoa, right in the heart of the area of the Cinque Terre.
Why choose to train with International House?
The very first teaching qualification for English Language Teaching was introduced by our partner school IH London in 1962. Since then, IH Teacher Training centres have committed not only to deliver high quality and innovative training courses but also to guarantee professional pre-service training and valuable guidance for further professional development.
An Introduction to CELTA (University of Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults)
CELTA is an introductory course designed for people with little or no teaching experience and it provides you with the basic skills which will allow you to teach English as a second language all over the world.
The CELTA is made up of instruction, teaching practice and reflection and contains the following components:
- input sessions on language awareness, student awareness, classroom management and lesson planning
- daily small group teaching practice with students at different language levels
- detailed feedback and discussion sessions with tutors
- observation of qualified teachers and your peers
The five main topics you will cover in the CELTA course are:
- learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- language analysis and awareness
- language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- planning and resources for different contexts
- developing teaching skills and professionalism
To receive a CELTA certificate you will need to complete the course and meet the assessment criteria for all written and practical assignments. You will be assessed on 6 hours of teaching practice and 4 written assignments.
It’s very important the you understand that all throughout the CELTA you will need to spend a substantial amount of time on lesson preparation and written assignments outside of timetabled hours.
How to Apply
Before applying please check you comply with the minimum requirements:
- Your language level must be C2
- Your education level must be equivalent to that requie for entry to higher education
- Minimum age: 20 but we will consider 18-19 year olds at our own discretion
If you comply with the minimum requirements please download the application form and pre-interview tasks
complete it and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once we have received your application we will contact you to fix a SKYPE meeting and to give you further information. You will only be accepted on a CELTA course if your application is successful.
Confirming your enrolment
If you are accepted for the CELTA course we will send you a confirmation letter with detailed information about how to confirm your booking.
To reserve your place you will have to pay a deposit. Full payment of the course must be received by us 4 weeks before the start of the course.
Course fees are not refundable but could be transferred to a later course if we are able to fill the place. Course fees can be paid by Bank Transfer in € Euro, CC or cash at our centre. For International bank transfers please make sure you include a €15 fee for bank charges.